Saturday, February 23, 2008

Where Are All My Emails?

I've come across an interesting problem recently. I have customers calling me saying that they are getting email addresses in there inbox that that they don't know who the email address belongs to. That and they aren't getting any of the emails they should be getting. The first instance of this took a while to figure out, but I've seen it a few times sense then. I'm still tracking down "how" it happened, but when I did deeper, I found that a filter had been added to delete any email addressed to the originally intended recipient.

I'm not sure yet if its an email scam or just one of the latest email hoaxes. The main symptom in getting tons of junk mail addressed to other people. I've only seen it on webmail accounts and not the MSN, Yahoo, and Gmail services. It stands to reason that it would only happen if an email was opened inside the webmail. In general I talk people out of Outlook because of all the problems it keeps having to fix. Thunderbird is a far better choice, but even then the anti-virus on your personal computer needs to remain updated.

I just wanted to pass that along... if you are getting emails where you don't know who the email address belongs to - check your filters. Also if you notice that you are not getting your emails - check your filters.